Wednesday 12 January 2022

Algonquin Bound, For Now…

My oh my how Big Year plans can change.  I was all set for a week long trip to northern Ontario and Quebec, in search of winter finches, American Three-toed Woodpeckers and more.  However, yesterday I saw that Yellow-billed Loons are now being seen in Nanaimo, British Columbia.  I had to quickly dissolve my northern plans and book a flight to Vancouver.  Almost.

A quick check of the weather, as suggested by Sue, allowed me to discover heavy rains forecast, again, for the Vancouver area, through Thursday.  Even if I did try to fly today, the flight might likely have been washed out.  So, taking the safe alternative, I booked my ticket for Friday and decided to take two days and bird Algonquin Park today and tomorrow bird around Ottawa, including taking a brief sojourn into Quebec, before heading back to Toronto Thursday night and flying to Vancouver Friday morning.  All that being said, I did have a fine day in Algonquin, enjoying the Evening and Pine Grosbeaks, and six new species for the year.

So, I’ll share a few photos and then get myself to sleep.  There are birds to see tomorrow, and miles to drive before I fly.

A pair of Common Ravens welcomed me to Algonquin:



At the Visitors Centre I enjoyed numerous Pine Grosbeaks:



Just one of dozens of Evening Grosbeaks I saw today:


No comments:

Post a Comment