Tuesday 8 November 2022

Cave Swallows Purple Gallinule: Story at 11

…and the Rarities, they keep a comin’


Cave Swallowers

Above, in the Purple Jacket, Marcie recorded her 400th species for Ontario!




So, the past 30 days or so since I returned from British Columbia, have been pretty good for birding here in Ontario, making me hesitant to leave for parts unknown chasing birds that may have flown the proverbial coop by the time I arrived, possibly at great expense.  Here in Ontario I had already taken day trips for a Magnificent Frigatebird, who was not in magnificent condition, a Tropical Kingbird that was far from The Tropics and a Cattle Egret who was hanging out with, well, cattle.

This weekend it was time for Cave Swallow migration.  These birds are late migrators and have an odd migratory route, passing over the Great Lakes from on their way from their breeding grounds in Texas and then back down to Mexico.  It’s a long way north just to go south of where you were born.  But it also might be that their love of nesting under bridges has helped expand their range north of Texas and the ones that do show up in Ontario could be from that population, riding the warm north winds up before turning south again.

For whatever reason, these birds have a habit of turning up this time of year and 50 Point Conservation area in Grimsby, Ontario is one of their known flyways.  I got a message the night before from fellow birder Ezra that the winds were favourable for these birds and though I arrived after two big flocks had already gone by, I was on time for a smaller flock of about 6-8 birds.  However I was concentrating too much on seeing them that I was too late for photos that day.  The Cave Swallows were not just species 445 for the year but another Canadian Lifer, bringing that list up to 476. I had begun the year with 390 species on my Canada Life List and have added 86 Lifers.

The next day I returned early and was able to get photos of these lovely swallows.  Not good ones, but I am happy enough to get any record shots.





Later that morning we were all treated to another rarity, a Northern Gannett on its migration.  They spend their winters at sea off the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts but occasionally a few wayward birds pass through the Great Lakes regions too. For Ontario Big Year Birders this was a big deal.  For me, though I had seen many this year, it was still a treat to see this juvenile gannet entertain the birders on the shores of Lake Ontario.

That made for a pretty good weekend, but Monday had another surprise in store for us chasers of wayward birds.  A juvenile Purple Gallinule was seen Sunday in Oshawa, Ontario at the Oshawa Second Marsh.  I’m not sure if there is a First Marsh, but if there is, I have never heard of it.  The Durham region has been good to me this fall, with birds such as the Ruff and Glossy Ibis, along with the Cattle Egret sightings.

I rushed out there first thing in the morning with just a coffee and nutrition bar and arrived to see a nice gaggle of birders looking, though by the time I had arrived it had not been seen for a couple of hours.  But people were staked out along the creek where it had been seen and we hoped it was just a matter of time before it showed itself.  Late in the morning I was feeling hungry and needed a comfort break, so I figured a 15 minute round trip for something to eat and another coffee from the Tim Hortons Drive-thru might help get me through the rest of the morning.  

Upon my return, just moments before I arrived, the group I left behind to watch, had spotted it again.  However it had once again vanished and I could only hope my full bladder and empty stomach hadn’t cost me seeing this bird.  I needn’t have worried.  Less than five minutes later it was seen again, walking in the cattails and reeds and finally emerged for some photos and made everyone present smile with the pleasure of a successful rare bird chase.  For me, this one was a biggie. Species 446 for the year and just a step closer to my stretch goal of 450 species for 2022.  It was also nice to just take a breath and enjoy the company of all the birders that showed up, many of whom I have known for years and see at many a rare bird stakeout.  Good times had by all.





53 days remain in 2022.  Plenty of time to add 4 more species to the list.  But either way, 450 or 446, I have succeeded beyond my expectations.  I have seen some of the most amazing parts of this country, seen birds that were both Lifers and new for Canada, chased rarities both near and far, with mixed success along the way, and have enjoyed nearly every minute of it.  

Now, where to next?









No comments:

Post a Comment