Sunday 10 July 2022

Keeping the Home Fires Birding


This week marked six months of birding, at least half the time on the road.  I returned from New Brunswick in anticipation of my train trip to Saskatoon.  However, this time I around, I have a whole week at home to spend with Sue and the cats, do some work around the house, cook a few meals and bird locally.  

Right off the bat I saw a report of a Yellow-crowned Night Heron at LaSalle Marina in Burlington.  I’ve been waiting for one to show up.  We saw a couple in Toronto’s Colonel Samuel Smith Park last year, including an adult and juvenile.  This one, at LaSalle, was an adult.  And Species 387 for the year.  


The next day, I drove up to Kitchener, in Waterloo County to see their celebrity Black-bellied Whistling Duck.  I saw my first of they year in Niagara Falls in January, but thought it would be nice to add another bird to my Waterloo List, since it was so close and I was looking for somewhere different to go birding that morning.  I hung around a while, but it never lifted its head for me.


Live Update, July 8, 4:00pm:

Now comes the tricky bit.  I just heard that Via Rail is potentially set to go on strike Monday morning at 12:01am, stopping all rail service across the country.  I am booked for a 9:55am departure on Sunday, July 10.  No one at Via knows whether or not the train will actually leave yet, leaving customers to contemplate alternate travel plans, and the longer they wait to inform us, the more expensive the cost of making new arrangements.  

I am happy to take a full refund and book a flight to Saskatoon via Winnipeg, Manitoba, but I also would like to at least start the train trip and see what happens.  However Via will not disclose whether or not the train will leave on time from Toronto, leaving a lot of customers in a bit of a bind.

Live Update, July 9, 3:00pm

I just received an email from Via Rail.  The train is now officially leaving Toronto on Sunday morning, but is only going as far as Winnipeg.  I can live with that.  Even a trunk-aided train ride is still an adventure, and Winnipeg is most of the way to Saskatoon, arriving Monday after dinner.  Now I have to arrange accommodations and a rental car in Winnipeg and travel to Saskatoon.  Oh, where will this adventure end?

Live Update, July 9, 8:21pm

I just received a phone call from Via Rail explaining the situation and the refund I can expect for the part of the trip from Winnipeg to Saskatoon.  Turns out it is not so much.  Oh well.  I’m still going, and still haven’t made plans for where I am staying or how I am getting to Saskatoon.  Only time will tell.

Live Update, July 10, 7:00am

Okay, I have made a decision after thoughtful contemplation and a good sleep.  I have made a rental car reservation for Winnipeg to to pick up the car at the airport when I arrive tomorrow evening, and will be able to drop it off in Saskatoon the next day, where I will pick up the previously reserved rental from Enterprise.  I still have to decide where I am staying tonight, but I have more than 24 hours to figure that out.  This is turning into quite the adventure and I have no idea at this point where it will end.

Live Update: 9:15am

I’m at the station and awaiting the boarding call.  When I arrived I was greeted by a concierge who explained the situation and that there was a slim chance the train would go all the way to Saskatoon, and not to request the refund until we get to Winnipeg.   I do think that driving from Winnipeg to Saskatoon my be the way to go and might just decide to get off the plane, ahm train, there anyway and drive through the prairies, since I do have that option and already have reserved my rental car.  





Let the adventure begin!




  



No comments:

Post a Comment