Sunday 2 January 2022

January 2, Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse

It was a dark and foggy morning.  Snoopy was writing his great birding book... Sorry, I was up before the sun, heading to Peggy’s Cove to get a jump on more seabirds before the crowds arrived, not to mention an amazing brunch, though I didn’t know about the brunch at the time.  That’s the kind of surprise I like.  I took my time driving, staying in the slow lane, which did not impress the truck drivers, who had to flash their bright lights at me before passing, just so I knew who was boss of the road.  That’s okay.  I had no intention of driving off the road and causing myself bodily harm before the second day of the year even began, so I kept to the right and took my time.  On the way up, I counted my first Ring-necked Pheasant of the year, as it flew across the road, a few meters in front of my windshield just as it was light enough for me to see it and panic.  Glad the truck wasn’t behind me then, or that might have ended my year real quick.

Ring-necked Pheasant:

      
                                                       I took this one the previous day.

It was foggy before light and it was foggy after light.  I can’t say after sunrise, because I didn’t see the sun all day.  I arrived at the lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove before all but a few of the staff.  If you want to get a photo of the lighthouse, or a photo of your family in front of the lighthouse, get there very early.  I arrived at 8:30 and the facilities don’t open until 10.  I got my crowd-free fog enshrouded photo, since I couldn’t see any birds.  


I hung around the deck, greeted the guests as they arrived, and encouraged them to get their people-free lighthouse photos too.  A good time was had by all.  Finally the fog began to lift and the birds became visible, kind of.  It was like looking at them through a veil.  But I got to see Purple Sandpipers and Harlequin Ducks and even another Dovekie or two.  

                        Purple Sandpipers through the fog:

                         It can take 5 years for to see this many Purple Sandpipers in Toronto

                         Dovekies, one of the smallest Alcids:






By then it was time for lunch.  Where to go?  I went into the gift shop, because the sign outside said they served Espresso.  I figured maybe I could get a regular coffee and a pastry or sandwich.  What I didn’t expect was a full restaurant with an extensive Eggs Benedict menu.  When in Nova Scotia, the only choice is the Lobster Eggs Benny, of course.  The lobster was succulent and the hollandaise was velvety. The poached eggs were perfectly, ahm, well, poached.   I guess you’ll need to get over here and try some for yourself.  



After lunch I met up with Jason, a local birder who has been helping me with local birding knowledge through Instagram.  See, social media is good for something aside from crackpot conspiracy theories. After he arrived he was able to help me spot more Dovekie, a Great Cormorant and a Glaucous Gull.  In all, I added 7 new species to the 28 I saw yesterday.  And nearly every one was a bird that, back in Ontario, I would either never see, or would spend the good part of a year trying to find.

                                     Great Cormorant:



It rained all afternoon, so I took advantage of the down time to drive up to New Glasgow, to be in perfect position to go hunting for Black-headed and Common Gull in the morning.  Then, maybe, I’ll head into New Brunswick for a rogue Western Tanager.  Then down to Lunenburg for a Yellow-throated Warbler, a bird not guaranteed to be seen in Canada, even in migration.  There’s also a Chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment